Fix your Samsung Galaxy S5 Charging cover yourself
Port cover fell off?
I’ve been a happy S5 owner for a year now. But one of the annoying features of it is the way that every time you take it off charge you get a cover up the charging cover message on the phone.
This is a silly floppy flappy thing that doesn’t feel like it should be on a quality phone, but I have obediently replaced it whenever I remove the plug.
But OH the HORRORS! it fell off last week, and although I was annoyed by it - I miss it now its gone - and do worry about water ingress to the charging ports. But its a really easy fix you can do yourself for a couple of pounds.
Heres what to do:
- Search eBay for “galaxy s5 charging port cover” and buy one. Should be less than a fiver (Do the search, click list buy it now only, and change it to price plus P&P: lowest first: to get the cheapest.. And usually I then do show UK listings only if I want it quick. )
- Wait for the postman. When your part arrives, you’ll need to take the back off the S5 - which you already did to put your simm in.
- Look down by the bottom of the ports. You’ll see that Samsung were expecting this floppy piece of plastic to fall off - so provided a screw to replace it. Undo this with a small cross head screwdriver (not a posi-drive one) and the small plastic cover will lift up but remain tethered. I used the screwdriver to lift it up. On mine the small black plastic end of the original cover was still in there - so I shook that out (you could use a pair of tweezers too)
- Slot the black end of the new part back into this slot. I found it easiest to put the cover back in place to do this
- Replace the grey plastic cover by pusing it down with your finger and tighten the screw gently
- You can now pop the back back on and enjoy your once again partially water-resistant smartphone.
12-Nov-2014 Add commentblog comments powered by Disqus Permanent Link